Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Be Still

Do you ever have those times where something keeps happening to you over and over again?  Where you hear the same song that touches you in a certain way right when you need it. Or someone says something in just the right way to make whatever it is that is troubling you melt away.  Or you get an unexpected bonus just when you are short on bills.  I am having one of those moments right now.

I have been very busy with work and family and church duties for quite a long while now.  It has been weighing heavily on me that it seems that I don't have much time for anything; I have been neglecting my study of the word because it just takes too much time I don't have.  I have been praying for some time to unwind and refocus but instead I have been getting more and more overloaded.  Well, a few weeks ago someone during a study at church referenced Psalm 46:10 in a discussion we were having:

  "Be still, and know that I am God.
   I will be exalted among the nations,
   I will be exalted in the earth!"

Since then, I have been seeing this in various blogs I have read.  A Christian friend of mine at work talked about this verse in a discussion we were having.  I even saw it referenced in a news item. Right now it seems it is everywhere to me.  And then it suddenly just hit me that God is answering my prayers by loading me up with worldly worries so that I may know He is where true peace lies.  With God's boundless love and grace and mercy, what could possibly worry me in this world? I just need to chill out and relax in the knowledge that God is infinitely patient and that through Christ He has given me the strength to overcome the world.  It is His work that has done this for me.  It is all His work.

And so, I hear you Lord loud and clear because I have become quiet.  I see your work in my life because I closed my eyes to reflect on your blessings.  And I feel you carrying me because I have stopped running my own race.  I thank you Lord for Psalm 46:10.

1 comment:

  1. In Jesus' ministry there were times of non-stop activity that He couldn't avoid, but He also intensively used the less busy time to full spiritual advantage -- at times praying all night and one could reasonably assume intense study of Scripture on Sabbath, when the scrolls would have been read and available. At the end of really busy times, we humanly want to just relax and do useless things, when what we really need to do is do the less urgent but supremely important things like fill up spiritually in anticipation of busy times, when re-centering by prayer and study is less accessible.

    ReplyDelete