Wednesday, December 26, 2012

I Need To Test All Things


Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
-- Acts 17:11 NIV

We are all on our own spiritual journey through this life and have to work out things for ourselves and live by our choices (Philippians 2:12-13).  We are taught the way that God wants us to live our lives through His words in the Bible but sometimes we feel the need to answer the callings of our heart and learn things for ourselves.   We come to believe that God would want us to be happy in whatever we want to do and so we step out on our own understanding.   Or we can think that God is not there for us because He wouldn't make life so difficult to bear so we tend to forget Him as we live our lives as best we see fit.  But as in the parable of the lost son in Luke 15:11-32, in all these times God is there waiting for us to turn to Him.  God is the source of eternal life and has revealed His nature and ways through His word and His love for us all through His son Jesus (1 Timothy 2:4, 2 Timothy 3:16-17, John 3:16-17).

I became a Christian late in my life, just 13 years ago, but I almost always knew that God was there.  I never truly doubted Him, I just ignored Him and did things my own way often times choosing a dark path.  Since becoming a Christian, there have been many times where I wished God was different and wanted different things for me, that He would understand me and my needs better and not make it so hard on me.  But then I remember, wait, this is the creator of the universe who didn't have to create me but did, a loving father who sacrificed His own son that I might be in His joyful presence eternally.  I don't understand why, and many times I know I don't deserve it, but He did that for me and for all of us.  And He continues to be there for me even still.  I don't have all the answers, not even close.  I just know my life is so much better since I decided to follow Jesus as I read about Him in the bible.  It is my constant prayer that I seek God where He is and not just where I want Him to be, and that I remember that His love is always available to those who walk in His light (1 John 1:6-10).   I will keep on praying no matter what is going on in my life, good or bad,  and sincerely try to always look to scripture to find out if the things that people say are true (Acts 17:11).  I want to embrace His Spirit in all that I do (Colossians 3:17) and do that which He asks of me in scripture, always loving Him with all my mind, heart, soul and strength (Matthew 22:36-40).   I hope that as I walk on my journey I can share God’s light within me by showing others the way and offering the hope they need (2 Timothy 2:15, Mark 16:15).  If together we test all things against God’s word and align our hearts with God’s nature, even though we stumble, we can never fail.

To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.
-- Jude 1:24-25

No comments:

Post a Comment